Sink your teeth into a delicious restaurant-style, hamburger recipe made from lean beef. Skip the prepackaged patties and take the extra time to craft up your own, and that little extra effort will be worth it. To make cheeseburgers, about 1 minute before burgers are done, top with sliced cheese; continue cooking until cheese begins to melt.
- 1 pound ground lean (7% fat) beef
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns (4 in. wide), split
- About 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- About 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1 firm-ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices red onion
If you want absolute bacteria safety, you need to cook your burgers to 160°. This recipe will keep them moist.
Per Serving: 480 calories; calories from fat 43%; protein 31g; fat 23g; saturated fat 5.6g; carbohydrates 37g; fiber 2.4g; sodium 978mg; cholesterol 127mg.