If you like your burgers on the rare side, buy the ground beef from a high-quality source. You may also use ground beef with a higher fat content.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef sirloin or chuck (10% fat; see notes)
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices (2 in. by 1 in. and 1/4 in. thick) cheddar cheese
- 1 red onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 Kaiser, onion, or crusty round rolls (4 in. wide), split
- Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded iceberg lettuce (4 oz.)
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (about 8 oz.), cored and thinly sliced
Per Serving: 589 calories; calories from fat 41%; protein 47g; fat 27g; saturated fat 12g; carbohydrates 38g; fiber 2.9g; sodium 856mg; cholesterol 133mg.